ImmersionRC has come up with an interesting solution for the users of FPV goggles – PowerPlay.It is the power bank/battery with an integrated DVR and monitor. Power bank uses 2 x 18500 lion batteries, that can be charged by USB-C cable and powers the goggles via supplied short or long cable. The DVR unit records the FPV video feed in 60FPS rate and h264 encoding. This is much better quality as the built in goggles DVR. ImmersionRC PowerPlay has 6″ LCD monitor for live FPV feed or recorded video replay. And the last but not the least feature is power button, that FatShark goggles still lack.
Built for FPV
The internal DVR on FatShark Dominator Goggles is ‘ok’, but it doesn’t come close to the quality that PAL/NTSC can offer. Instead of the MJPEG compression used in the Dominator, the PowerPlay uses x264 (AVC) compression, with a much higher bit-rate. The 30fps frame rate of the Dominator is also doubled to 60fps, which is essential for capturing fluid race footage.
- Powers FatShark Goggles (with power switch)
- h264 Recording, at up to 60fps
- Built-in 6cm LCD display, showing recording + playback
- USB-C Charging
- 2x 18500 Cells (Included)
- Accessories for Head, or Pocket Mounting
The Power Part
PowerPlay’s Power section is a pair of two 18500, Li-ion cells, that can power a Dominator HDO + rapidFIRE + DVR for up to 3 hours *.
To recharge, either use the built-in USB-C port for up to 1.5A charging, or simply pop out the cells, and replace with a freshly charged set.
The PowerPlay ships with 1400mAh cells, but larger capacity 2040mAh cells are available from most vape shops, and are the same ones used in the FrSky X-Lite radios, so any decent FPV retailer will stock them. * 3 hours with 2040mAh cells, not shipped with the product
The PowerPlay ships with a head-mounting accessory pack. A quick-release clip mounts on the rear of the standard goggle headstrap, and the new included top-strap ensures a comfortable fit.
A short ‘Y’ cable connects power, A/V, and the fan connector.
The rear-mounted DVR has the advantage of letting people standing behind you see what you, the pilot, is seeing.
A longer version of the cable is also supplied, for those who would rather keep their battery/DVR in a pocket, and keep weight off of the head.
Integrated 6 inch monitor is great for FPV recordings replay or an alternative FPV monitor for the spectators. Strap it on the back of your headstrap and everybody, who’s standing behind, can see your live FPV feed!
- Power: 2x 18500 Li-ion cells (without protection circuits)
- Power Switch: Yes… powers both the DVR, and the Goggles
- Video File Format: h264 (AVC)
- Video File Resolution: 720×576 (PAL), 720×480 (NTSC)
- Video Data Rate: ~15Mbps (PAL), ~8Mbps (NTSC)
- Black Flashy: None
- 1x PowerPlay DVR
- 2x 18500 1400mAh Li-ion Batteries (installed)
- Higher capacity 2040mAh cells recommended as an upgrade.
- 1x Head Strap Clip
- 1x Over-head Strap
- 1x Replacement fan cover mounting kit w/Strap clip
- 1x Short DC/AV ‘Y’ cable for head-mounting use (incl. Fan Power)
- 1x Long DC/AV ‘Y’ cable for pocket use (incl. Fan Power)